How to speed up your company? Take the difficult path and go down to the human side of business.
The easy path of command and control will very soon slow down your organisation
I call the People Excellence...
OPEX Asia 2019
Day 1 - Great networking and discussions today with peers in operational excellence. My first impressions:
- Focus automation on areas with minimal viable products; and don't forget to clean-up your waste first
- Operational excellence is bottom-up and top-down at the same time
- Start your transformation journey with the 'why'; and then experiment in high speed to create tangible results
- Yes, you can have a global IT organisation with only three hierarchical levels - implementing self-organising teams
- Who owns the customer journey in the company? Ideally the Operational Excellence unit; it is a cross-functional topic
Day 2 - Excited about the feedback I have received for my presentation about People Excellence; people are not machines and we thrive with freedom and passion.
Though the day continued to be exciting with many insights; here is what I got out of it:
- Operational Excellence is not a nice to have - it is about surviving in the market
- Rule-based activities can be automated with a bot; a great opportunity to up-skill people and engage them in more meaningful activities
- Employee Experience is a broad journey with social, physical and technical aspects; and requires a wide set of methods
- Drive agility by moving the focus (30%) from big ticket improvements to small Kaisen improvements
- Create an environment that allows and pushes experimentation; this is one of the foundation for transformation initiatives
- Ownership and curiosity easily compensates for the lack of expertise
Today's 'Quick Share' is about how do I get a productive day? So here is what I do:
1 - the evening before, I set my 2-3 tasks for the next day
2 - when I arrive at the office, I focus on task 1 first (no e-mails)
3- then after the first (mindful) break, I am going through my e-mails
Here is the article that inspired me; in essence:
> get rid of distraction
> follow your own priorities (and not others')
10 daily tasks that will help you become successful over time
The Essence of Motivation
Motivation is more sustainable when it comes from within - from people's heart and mind. Intrinsic Motivation gives us three simple handles:
1. Purpose - awaken the passion and show the long-term direction; let's aim at something that we care about
2. Autonomy - allow the people to use their experience and brains to decide how we can achieve this common purpose
3. Mastery - aspirations to become an expert is a third driver that makes people excited
Adapted from Drive, Daniel Pink
Receive our monthly themed summaries of our thoughts: click!
Tim is a change practitioner in the area of innovation and excellence. He is working with teams to accelerate innovation, collaboration and agility.